Navigation Bar Blue

Wednesday 7 March 2012

The Piano

I have always been envious of people who display extreme talent in music. The piano in particular has always shared a special place in my heart. Today, while witnessing one of my classmates dazzle us with his violin, it reminded me greatly of my lack of perseverance for the piano.

When I was a kid, my parents sent me for Piano classes. But somehow rather, I dropped out around the age of 10 due to other distractions that came with growing up. For some reason then, I just didn't see how letting go of the piano would affect my future. It's been well over 10 years now and I heavily regret having given it up and didn't place more insistence in excelling the piano. Although I do occasionally sit in front of the piano to try and learn some of my dream pieces, but it's long and frustrating. In addition to constantly being abroad and away from home, it's hard to really settle down and properly pick it up again. I'm still yearning for the day when my hands could dexterously glide through the keyboards, to my dream pieces.

There was a scene in Grey's Anatomy, in which a legendary violinist from an episode said: "For what I lack in natural talent, I make up for it in discipline"

This saying is in fact very true in reference to my undertakings in life, whereby my determination has always been the force behind my perseverance. As a person who lacks of luck, talent, academic intelligence and physical competence, I've always had to endure the feeling of never being good enough and work effortlessly twice as hard in order to reach a certain level. The only natural born talent I can think of is my admirable artistic skills, my sense in the kitchen, my knack for languages and social communication, along with my empathy and emotional intelligence. Perhaps due to my insecurities and the lack of self-confidence, I recognise the importance of personal development as I truly value the aspects of being well educated, broad-minded, knowledgeable, cultured and worldly. But even as I'm on my way to being highly developed, is it really going to help me with my quest for existence and self acceptance?

No comments:

Post a Comment